Whisky is a distilled alcoholic beverage which is made from fermented grain mash including barley, corn, rye and wheat in different varieties and quantities. It is one of the most famous alcoholic drink which is sold worldwide and is loved by people. It generally comes in wooden or glass bottles, some of which are highly decorated. Distillation, fermentation of grains, aging are some characteristics of all types of whiskies while their price varies according to the alcoholic percentage, quality, base product, area of production, packaging, and others.
Categories of whisky
- Blended Malt– Monkey Shoulder, Big Pit Christmas, Flatnose, Teeling Small Batch, Timorous Beastie, Scallywag Speyside are all blended malt whiskies which means that they are all a blend of different single malt whiskies.
- Blended Whisky– It is a product of different types of whiskies, as the name suggests it is blended. Gold Label, Tullamore DEW, Johnnie Walker Blenders’ Batch, Ben Nevis are some of the examples.
- American Whisky– It is produced in United States from cereal grains. Two of them are Jack Daniel’s Master Distillers and Koval Four Grain Whisky.
- Single Grain-It is made from barley or one-two more grains like wheat or corn. Nikka Coffey Grain Whisky is one such example.
- Single Malt- Made only from malted barley, it is called single malt like Tomatin Earth, Speyburn Single Malt, BenRiach Birnie, and Springbank.
- Bourbon- Kentucky Gentleman Straight, Four Roses Single Barrel, Gun Fighter, Jim Beam Devils are few examples of bourbon whisky which is a type of American whisky made primarily from corn.
- Rye Whisky- This can be referred to two types of whisky, American rye whisky, distilled from 51% rye and Canadian whisky which may or may not contain any rye. Two famous ones are Lot 40 Canadian Rye and Wild Turkey Straight Rye.
- Whisky Liqueur– Alcohol with whisky base like Jim Beam Apple, Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Fire and The Wild Geese Irish Honey is called whisky liqueur.
There are some other subcategories too like Scotch whisky, Indian, Irish, Japanese whisky and many more. It is a rich alcohol but the percentage varies according to the ingredients and you can find all types in the market from the very expensive whiskies to extremely reasonable ones. Nowadays pot stills are used for distillation of the alcohol which contains a single heated chamber. Aging of whisky takes place between distillation and bottling which is done due to the interaction of the cask with whisky, which means the ones that are bottled for many years are not older or better.